Squash Varsity To Oppose Yale

By Jonathan D. Trobe

The squash match in New Haven today decides just about everything: the Ivy Championship, the Big Three title, and whether the varsity can finish out an undefeated season.

Yale will be given a slight edge for three reasons: Ralph Howe, Bob Hetherington, and George West, the 1-2-3 powerhouse that made up the three best national juniors two years ago. All three are as hot this season as they were last, when they smothered the Crimson to win the Ivy title.

But farther down on the ladder, Harvard is strong--probably stronger than Yale. In fact, coach Jack Barnaby expects the team to take four of the last five matches. Add to that a possible victory at number four, and the Crimson nips it out, 5 to 4.

Both teams are undefeated. In Ivy competition, Yale has lost only two points (against Princeton), and Harvard three (also Princeton). Heavily favored last year. Yale was only able to eke out a shaky victory over the Crimson with Tony Lake taking West to five games in the clincher.

A break-through in the top three would make matters more secure for the Crimson. At number one it will be Vie ("nice guys loss") Niederhoffer against gentleman Ralph Howe, the top intercollegiate, ranked in the nation's top ten. Although Howe beat Jim Eng (Princeton) who best Niederhoffer, the Crimson's top man may barge in to win the match if Howe shows signs of letting up. The Crimson's Paul Sullivan, at number two, and Lou Williams, at three, will be strong contenders.