Sextet Tops Yale, 2-1

By Michael S. Lottman, Special to the CRIMSON

NEW HAVEN, Feb. 24--Whoever said the Yale hockey team was scrappy wasn't kidding. The Elis fought like wild men at Ingalls Rink here to-night, and the varsity was glad to escape with a narrow 2-1 victory.

Throughout the rough contest in front of a Junior Prom crowd of 3200, the Bulldogs swarmed all over Crimson attackers, and especially harassed center Gene Kinasewich. The one time Kinasewich fought back, at 8:12 of the third period, he was immediately called for interference.

The same sort of swarming mediocrity produced the lone Yale goal. At 3:39 of the second period, a pack of Elis converged on Crimson goalie Bob Bland, swinging wildly. A high shot hit Bland in the face, and in the resulting confusion Bruce Larson pushed the puck into the nets. Pat Rulon-Miller and Steve Ripley were credited with assists.

Bland was forced to leave the game, but he was back on the bench for the third period. Among his 10 saves were two beauties on unchecked Yalies. Godfrey Wood finished the game in the nets in equally fine fashion, and contributed a fine sprawling save midway in the final period.

The Crimson struck first after only 2:36 of the first session. Tommy Heintsman fed Dean Alpine at center ice, and Alpine cut loose with a long low shot from about five feet inside the blue line. Yale goalie Scott Nelson, who made 52 saves tonight, never touched this blast.

At 3:44 of the third period, 23 seconds after Wyllys Terry of Yale was penalized for tripping, defenseman Dave Johnston tallied the deciding goal on a well-executed power play. Two fine passes by captain Dave Grannis and Ike Ikauniks gave Johnston the opening.

With its seventh win in eight Ivy games, the varsity clinched at least a tie for the League title. The Crimson's overall mark is now 13-4.