Swimming Team Beats Cornell 57-37

The Harvard swim team maintained its undefeated record by beating Cornell 57 to 37 last Saturday at Ithaca. Two new records were set, one by Harvard, the other by Cornell.

Bob Kaufman of Harvard established a Cornell pool record of :48.9 for the 100 yard free style. He finished far in front, with teammate Alan Engleberry just nosing out Cornell's Demarest for second.

The Big Red set a new team record of 3:25.3 in the 400 yard free style relay. Bill Zentgraf, the Harvard anchor man, gained almost two body lengths, but couldn't quite catch the Cornell team. The 400 yard medley relay was also close, with Harvard winning in 3:50.4. Fred Elisalde brought the team from behind to give anchorman Captain Kaufman a slight lead, which he increased.

In the 220 free style Zentgraf beat Halstead of Cornell by just a stroke. John Pringle had considerably less trouble in gaining his two wins for the Crimson. He took both the 200-yard back stroke and the 200-yard individual medley in times of 2:03.7.

Harry Turner won the 200-yard butterfly for Harvard in 2:14.7, but Cornell took firsts in the 50-yard free, the 200-yard breast stroke, and the diving.