Trackmen to Face Dartmouth Here; GBI Field Events Set for Tonight

In view of their usual propensity for crying wolf, it is rather surprising to find spokesmen for the varsity track team taking this afternoon's meet with Dartmouth so casually. The Crimson will face the Big Green at 1 p.m. in Briggs Cage, but its eyes, apparently, will be on the Greater Boston Championships, which begin tonight at M.I.T.

For some reason, the Greater Boston crown has suddenly become infinitely desirable. Coach Bill McCurdy plans to send a full contingent of weight men to the session tonight, and a powerful group of runners to tomorrow's competition.

Nobody seems very concerned about Dartmouth. Yet the Indians just might hand the varsity its second straight dual meet loss this afternoon. Big Green sprinter Gerry Ashworth has already beaten Jay Luck of Yale, and should have no trouble today. In the 660, Dartmouth's Tom Holzel has run four straight races under 1:13:0, and the varsity's Don Kirkland will need an inspired performance to beat him.

Tom Laris and Nick Jennison lead a fine group of middle and long-distance runners who will press the Crimson in the 1000, mile, and two-mile, as well as the two-mile relay. Hurdler and broad jumper John Knight should also pile up some points.

The return of Lowell Davidson should aid the Crimson cause.