THE SPORTING SCENE

TRACK

By Michael S. Lottman

This may be the year the varsity track team reclaims the Heptagonal title it has not won since the glory days of 1956-7. The Crimson was a disorganized, team earlier in the season when it lost to Army and barely edged Dartmouth, but its smashing triumph over Yale Saturday showed that it has pulled half together.

Captain Mark Mullin's 4,07.0 mile win over Bobby Mack was the top single of the meet. Observers at the finish line saw Mullin and Mack disappear behind the stands on the backstretch barely a step apart, could wait to see who emerged in front. will ever forget the sight of Mullin out around the far turn with five-yard lead.

Ed Hamlin came into his own Saturday. Previously, Hamlin has had when he was forced to run two races in one meet. Saturday he three, and each one was better than last. He took third in the mile, behind Mullin and Mack; he won the over Princeton's Whit Azoy in .

And on the final leg of the two-mile , against Azoy and Mack, he in a sparkling 1:54.7 880. This is probably one of the two or three fastest half-miles in Crimson history--and it was done with the outcome of the hanging in the balance.

After Eddie Meehan had finished fourth in the mile, Crimson coach Bill McCurdy decided he needed him in the two-mile, since every point counted. responded with a 9:39.9, and took third when his last-lap sprint nipped Somers of Princeton. Even after running three miles, though, he was not . Fighting off sickness, he covered his leg in the two-mile relay in 1:59.2.

Mack, incidentally, won the two-mile in 9:23.1 over a formidable rival, Rod of Princeton. Also buried in the excitement were two Coxe Cage records, a 7.3 in the hurdles by Bill Flippin of Yale and a 14 ft., 4 1/4 in. pole Charlie Mitchell of Princeton.

Jack Spitzberg (6 ft., 3 in. in the high jump, by three inches his best effort ), Jim Leath (6.4 in the dash), and the mile relay squad, paced by Dave 49.8 440, contributed valuable second places to the Crimson cause.

Thus the stage is set for the Heptagonals this weekend.