GOP Leader Raps JFK; Criticizes 'Bobby' As Well

Congressman Robert Wilson, Chairman of the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee, took several friendly swipes at President Kennedy, his programs, and those politically inclined members of his family last night. Speaking informally before forty Harvard Young Republicans and "invited friends," Wilson termed aspects of The New Fronteir "shortsighted" and indicative of so much paternalistic government."

Before a generally sympathetic audience, Congressman Wilson indicated that if this country turns socialist, we are affect weakening ourselves until we are a prey of International Communism." Practicing a policy of "positive opposition," he maintained that "President Kennedy has introduced a lot of legislation that he has no intention of pushing." Wilson included Kennedy's civil rights program and the proposed appointment of Robert C. Weaver as a Negro to the Cabinet among these "patently political" maneuvers.

"Bobby's" Trip Helped Few

Moving easily from one topic to the next and answering questions for better than an hour, Wilson interpreted Attorney General Robert Kennedy's recent trip abroad as a political move that helped "Bobby" and very few others. "The harm done to the State Department, to the positions of Adlai Stevenson and Lyndon Johnson (vice-Presidents usually make such trips) is hard to evaluate... Lyndon is madder than hell about it." Wilson noted the ever increasing part that at the younger Kennedy is playing in the present administration, and at one time, compared him to the Harry Hopkins of New Deal fame.

The speaker's approach was not limited to negative criticism. In clear and tones, Wilson spoke at some length on the present position of the Republican Party. Stressing youth, the Republican Congressman from California sees the party as the representative of "the competitive spirit in this country" as opposed to the "socialization" of the Democrats.

Of the approaching Congressional elections, Wilson referred to President Kennedy's present difficulties and suggested that "we give Kennedy a Republican Congress for his own good." In perhaps the biggest understatement of the evening, the Republican Congressman admitted that the "Kennedy family image is a pretty good one," and that "President Kennedy campaigns effectively."

A phrase that occured more than twice in reference to the G.O.P. was, "We have done a bad job of selling ourselves." Most people on the second floor of the Harvard Union, however, thought Congressman Wilson did a pretty good job.