Two Socialist Groups Form at University

Two new campus groups calling themselves "socialist" but representing different points of view have formed within the past two weeks.

One is in the moderate tradition of Norman Thomas' Socialist party, while the other is described by its founder as "radical and Marxist" in outlook.

Thomas A. Timberg '64, organizer of the Winthrop House Socialist Table, said yesterday that a firm belief in democracy dominated his ideology. He attacked communism as "a form of minority rule" and called it "the antithesis of socialism."

The Winthrop group, Timberg continued, is a "forum for the expression of democratic socialist views," not an extremist organization. Its first meeting, held March 1, featured Julius Bernstein, a Socialist party member who is secretary of the State AFL-CIO Committee on Civil Rights.

"Radical Marxists"

The other organization will be a reincarnation of the Harvard Socialist Club, which died of apathy in 1960. Its new founder, Joseph F. Knowles '65, said yesterday that he considers present Russian communism "a corruption of Marxism," but added, "I am coming into a much greater appreciation of Lenin." He said his group might affiliate with the Young Socialist Alliance.