Viegand Named Squash Captain

Roger C. Wiegand '62, of Quincy House and Pittsburgh, Pa., has been re-elected squash captain for next season.

Wiegand is one of the four players on this year's squad who had never been on a squash court before they came to Harvard. Coach Jack Barnaby drafted Wiegand, Vic Niederhoffer, Paul Sullivan, and Doug Walter off the tennis courts and converted them into the top players on the undefeated team.

Starting his sophomore season at number eight on the varsity, Wiegand moved up to four in time for the Yale match. He lost a close contest to Eli Tat Starr.

He was slated to play number two this year, but a week after the pre-season ladder was announced, he found out he had an "active case of mono." The effects on his stamina were immediate, and he faltered to fifth on the ladder. He didn't miss any league matches, but playing at "two-thirds of capacity," he was hard put to stay at number five.

He shook the bug in time to win the crucial match, against Charlie Frank of Yale. Frank had him at two-love, match point 14-11 in New Haven this year. Wiegand gathered his strength, pulled up to 14-14, won the set, and went on to take the next two games. Harvard won the match 5-4.

Wesley W. Horton '64, of Quincy House and Canton, Conn., was selected as next year's squash manager.