Bolles Labels Criticism Of Ticket Sales 'Unfair'

By Efrem Sigel

Thomas D. Bolles, director of Athletics, yesterday characterized as "unfair" charges that the Harvard Athletic Association discriminates against students in allocating tickets to athletic events.

But he admitted that the HAA "can improve" its distribution of tickets. "I don't think we've done a good job for events at which seating is limited," Bolles said.

Bolles explained that "there is always a reasonable number of tickets held for undergraduates," and that for most events students who want tickets have no trouble getting them. It is only rarely that demand for tickets exceeds the space available, he said.

One of the difficulties involved in the recent ECAC hockey tournament, Bolles said, was that "we had a desperate time ng any tickets at all." Of the 600 tickets that Harvard received, about 300 went to undergraduates.

Bolles stressed that this was the first the ECAC tourney had been held, therefore the HAA had no past experience to go by. He expressed the on that for future tournaments a greater percentage of tickets would be set aside for students.

Bolles also expressed the hope that the committee established by the HCUA to investigate HAA ticket procedures would produce an objective report. "I can understand that undergraduates have an interest in the teams and in the provisions made for their attendance," he said. It was a student committee, working for the administration, that produced the present arrangement for distributing football tickets, Bolles explained. But in football there is room for everybody who wants to go. Tickets for events like the Yale swimming meet, however, must be sold on a first-come-first-served basis, Bolles said.

Bolles agreed with critics that the HAA should improve at least the psysical distribution of tickets for popular events. can get extra help and open more ticket windows for the big meets," he said.

The order of priority for ticket allotment was established by the Faculty Committee on Athletics. Undergraduates seventh, after the President and , Board of Overseers, Faculty Committee on Athletics, squad members of the particular sport, former "H" men of the sport, and the professors and associate professors.