FROM DR. KELMAN

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The CRIMSONS of March 15, 16, and 17 contained references--on one or another of their pages--to my talk regarding the Psilocybin Program. Unfortunately, these references gave a completely misleading picture of the content and context of my remarks. It would be impossible and inappropriate for me to review my arguments here, but two general points of clarification are in order.

First, my talk was not concerned with research on psilocybin or related drugs or with the effects of taking such drugs. Anyone who heard my talk knows, of course, that I am not against drug research or against the exploration of the new, the unknown, and the taboo. My talk was not concerned with that at all, but rather with graduate education in psychology and the effects of the Psilocybin Program on our graduate training.

Second, my talk was clearly and specifically addressed to the graduate students in the Department of Social Relations who had an interest in the Psilocybin Program, and not to a wider public. It is unfortunate that other people, including a representative from the CRIMSON, were present at this internal meeting. This was definitely contrary to the intentions of the organizers of the meeting. Herbert C. Kelman.