Attorney-General Talks in Kirkland

State Attorney-General Edward J. McCormack, Jr. yesterday fielded questions ranging from the effect of H. Stuart Hughes' candidacy to his stand on federal aid to parochial schools, as he sought support for his Senate race before a group of young Democrats at Kirkland House.

McCormack, who is opposed for the Democratic nomination for senator by Edward M. (Ted) Kennedy '54, stressed the importance of his experience in state and municipal government. He said that many of the problems he has faced as Attorney-General are encountered in the federal government as well, citing as an example the effort to protect the consumer through the establishment of government advisory councils.

Pointing with pride to his record on civil rights, McCormack said, "Through my office and the legislation I have sponsored, Massachusetts is now considered by many to be the number one state in the nation on civil rights and civil liberties."

After his brief talk, McCormack answered a variety of questions. On the Hughes' candidacy, he said, "I have a great deal of respect for Professor Hughes. I consider him a serious candidate."

On aid to education, McCormack explained that while he would vote for a bill which provided federal funds only for public schools, he would also support a measure which included aid to parochial schools, if the money went for secular teaching.

McCormack, also answered questions about the Alliance for Progress and the President's tariff bill, but reminded his audience that a senator does not make foreign policy. "Sometimes I wonder whether some of our candidates are running for senator or Secretary of State," he remarked.