Hopeful Golfers Leave For Practice in South

By Ronald G. Strackbein

Banking on depth and experience, the varsity golf team could take home all the marbles this year.

Although last year's number one and number five men graduated, Coach "Cooney" Weiland has six returning lettermen in Bruce Johnstone, captain John Livingood, Bob Holton, Dave Rudnick, Herb Wollan, and George Duffy. Last spring the team had an 8-3 season and gained second place in the Eastern Intercollegiatos. This year it might be better.

Sophomores Bill Bond, Stan Abrams, and Bob Seelert have come up from last year's strong freshman team which compiled a 6-1 record and took six out of seven matches from Yale.

The Crimson golfers have perhaps the strangest playing set-up of any Harvard team. The College, of course, does not have its own course; thus, only the courtesy of two nearby golf clubs allows Harvard to field a squad at all. The team will practice on the Clyde course of The Country Club, the site of the 1963 Open, and play its matches at Myopia Hunt Club, a sporty course of 6400 yards with tiny greens and narrow fairways lined with trees, water, and a multitude of out of bounds markers.

In order to gain more practice time the team will spend spring vacation at Duke University in Durham, N.C.

A tentative ladder will be set up for the first match at Navy on April 7 on the basis of qualifying rounds played at Duke.

All seven slots on the playing squad will be up for grabs, and the scramble should be exceedingly close. Competition will be particularly hot for the top two spots where Livingood, Johnstone, Holton, and Abrams will be fighting it out.

Hopefully, there will be good weather in Durham as a lot of practice is needed before the first match at Annapolis. The Middles trounced Yale last week 17 1/2 to 9 1/2.

The team will require depth, ability, and anything else it can muster to win the big ones this year: Princeton here on April 20, Yale at Yale on May 9, and the Eastern Intercollegiates at Ithaca on May 12 and 13. Only a strong showing by all seven men can produce wins in these crucial meets.