Lacrossers May Top Ivies

A brilliant but shallow attack, strong but untested midfield units, and last year's defense are the basic components of the University's varsity lacrosse team. Blessed with 13 returning lettermen and a promising block of sophomores, Coach Bruce Munro predicts that the Crimson Stickmen "will definitely be in the top echelon of the Ivy League" along with Princeton and Yale.

Though he probably has the best single defensive unit in the North, Munro still says the team's "weakest spot" is the attack. Plagued for several years with a lack of depth in this department, Munro is faced with the problem of finding adequate reserves to spell starting attackman Captain Grady Watts, "Woody" , and newcomer Lew Williams.

Watts, the high assist man in the nation his sophomore year, in the team playmaker. Munro, in tribute to his captain's posting abilities, says, "there is no question in anybody's mind but that the team focuses around Watts." Spruance, playing in Watts' shadow for three years, is perhaps the most unheralded player on the team. He ranked third and second respectively in team goals and assists last year, and has the power to bull his way around the goal for a score.

The unknown quantity of the unit is sophomore Lew Williams. As crease attackman he must replace Dave Bohn, last year's top scorer. No team can lose a scorer like Bohn (97 goals in two seasons) without feeling it but Williams has looked good in practice. Though his quick-stick is slower than Bohn's, he moves around more and picks up more loose balls. The team needs a big scorer. "What Williams does will make a lot of difference," according to Munro.

Another sophomore, "Tink" Gunnoe, will probably spell one or more of the starting trio, and Dave Nyhan is also a possibility. But both players are essential members of the top midfield units and Nyhan may not play at all. Munro's "three great ones" are in for a tiring time. They must stay healthy for a successful season.

In short, Munro enjoys one of his strongest lacrosse teams in his 14 years as a University coach. Most of the players that make it strong are seniors. If the Crimson is ever going to beat Princeton, holder of the Ivy League Lacrosse crown for the past five years, it will have to be done this year.