The Krokodiloes

By A. B. H.

The Krokodiloes, as everyone knows, are Hasty Pudding boys who sing songs. There are some 16 of them, and they have just recorded an album (of 18 songs) called "Warm and Cool...." Most of the songs on this record, at least as arranged and blended by the Kroks, are really neither warm nor cool--just nice.

Nicest of all is the generous helping of old favorites like "Georgia Brown," "Stormy Weather" or "Poor Wayfaring Stranger." In songs like these, the 16 pleasant voices of the group are confident, controlled, quite professional, and ever so much better than the ragged Whiffenpoofs.

But none of these numbers, however successful, is particularly meteorological; the only two songs on this record to do so are a "Bulldog Twist" (real warm), and a ditty called "Blue Day" (real cool) by His Sax-Blowing Majesty King Bhumibol, the monarch of Thailand.

The Krok adaptation of The Twist is constructed on a New Havenish ground (one can detect an "Arf" in the midst of the rock growls); but, though one suspects that the lyrics owe their inspiration to the recent carolings of the Lampoon Tabernacle Choir, the noise is usually sufficient to distract attention from them--and the noise is thumping good.

The royal effort is also most successful: the King of Siam, it would appear, has a considerable talent for writing a luscious tune, and the Krokodiloes exploit it with their most melodious croons. Or almost their most melodious: the boys have also included their celebrated "Blah" (a gentle moaning jibe at movie songs).

Sure, this is a good record, and a good one to have around to play for--at varying volumes--your friends and dat...