Swimmers Will Risk Perfect Record in Yale Contest; Hockey Squads to Clash in 'Garden Party' Tonight

By Michael S. Lottman

The annual Harvard-Yale hockey party will take place tonight at 8 p.m. in the Boston Garden. About 10,000 fans, mostly alumni, are expected to renew old acquaintances and incidentally, watch a hockey game whose importance is purely statistical.

If the varsity can defeat the Bulldogs this evening, it will become the second team in Harvard history to win 20 games in regular season competition. The Crimson's record is currently 19-4. With an 8-1 Ivy mark, the varsity has clinched the League championship for the seventh time in nine years.

The Crimson would derive some satisfaction from downing the Elis in tonight's return match. Last Saturday in New Haven, the varsity had to struggle for a 2-1 victory, as Bulldog goalie Scott Nelson turned away 53 Crimson shots. But the current crop of Crimson seniors has never beaten Yale twice in the same season.

Last year, an inspired Bulldog sextet tied the varsity, 1 to 1, in the final game of the year at New Haven, and in 1960, Yale scored a 3-2 triumph at the Arena.

Yale stands 7-15 on the season, and 3-6 in the League. The Elis can boast two of the League's ranking pointmakers, Coley Burke and Bill Hildebrand, and a competent goalie in Nelson. But in general the Bulldogs are slow and unpolished; in the clash at New Haven. Yale relied on a swarming defense of questionable legality to contain the varsity.

Harvard will be fresh from its best performance of the year, a 10-0 romp over Princeton. Sophomore Gene Kinasewich, who tallied four goals against the Tigers, tops Crimson scorers with points. Tim Taylor, recently sidelined with a charley horse, is still second with 29.