Walter Upsets Botts In Intercollegiates; Sullivan Eliminated

By Jonathan D. Trobe

Doug Walter yesterday scored Harvard's first tournament upset by beating John Botts of Williams 3-1 in the second round of the National Squash Intercollegiate Championships at Hemenway.

Walter, who played at number four for the Crimson, surprised the Williams star with low smashes that outpositioned him repeatedly. The final score was 15-3, 7-15, 15-12, 15-6. Walter meets and probably beats Jim Cohen of Cornell this morning; he faces the big test in the afternoon against Bulldog Bob Hetherington, seeded fourth in the tourney and thirteenth in the nation. Hetherington has to beat Bob Pope of Trinity this morning.

Offsetting Walter's upset was the disappointing loss of an exhausted Harvard number two man--Paul Sullivan, who fell in straight games to Bart McGuire of Princeton. Sullivan, who has also been competing in a mixed doubles tennis tournament in Newton, seemed to lack the energy he displayed earlier this year in downing McGuire 3-2 in the Ivy match.

Harvard's Lou Williams won his first-round match but ran into sixth-seeded Dudley Lyons of Amherst in the second round and lost in straight games. At the same time, Vic Niederhoffer joined Wal- ter in keeping Crimson team hopes alive by brushing off Amherst's second, Roger Alcaly, after dropping the first game. This morning Niederhoffer faces Dave O'Loughlin of Pitt, reputedly a tough man.

In other tournament action, the remaining seeded players advanced easily. Don Mills of Trinity, third, had surprisingly little trouble with Canada's intercollegiate champ Colin Adair, beating him 15-7, 15-14, 15-10.

Eighth final and quarter final matches will be played off this morning and this afternoon. The semis and finals are scheduled for tomorrow