Van Doren Will Give Two Courses Here

Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Mark Van Doren, professor emeritus of Columbia University, will be visiting professor hero for the spring term, 1963.

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for American poetry in 1940 for his "Collected Poems," Van Doren will conduct English Sb, an advanced course in creative writing formerly given by Archibald MacLeish, professor emeritus. He will also give a Humanities course in "The Narrative Art," which will consider three or four major narratives such as the Odyssey and Don Quixote.

Van Doren taught English at Columbia from 1920 until his retirement in 1959. A noted literary critic, he has written distinguished works on Shakespeare, Dryden, and other major figures.

Van Doren joins poet Robert Lowell as the second Pulitzer Prize winner slated to serve as a visiting professor. In the English Department next year. Lowell will teach English Sa, an advanced course in the writing of poetry, and English 285, "Craft of Poetry," a limited course in the reading and criticism of poetry, during the fall term.