Varsity Nine to Face Northeastern Here

Weather permitting, the high riding Crimson baseball varsity goes after its second straight Greater Boston League win and its sixth win in seven starts this afternoon against a formidable outfit from Northeastern. If the expected rains fail to arrive, the game will start at 3 p.m. on the Crimson diamond.

This will be the first chance for local fans to view the 1962 Crimson Club, which shows signs of becoming one of the best in recent years.

Northeastern will be one of the toughest teams the Crimson has faced all season. Last year the Huskies edged Harvard 5-4, and their freshman team was one of the best in the area.

Coach Norm Shepard will go with his best against the cross-town foes. Al Yarbro, right-handed ace of the Crimson mound staff, will be the starting pitcher. Yarbro has an effective fast ball, and a fine collection of curves and change-ups to go with it. He is 1-0 for the season and owns a perfect 0.00 earned run average.

Backing Yarbro up in the bullpen will be fireball righthander Dick Garibaldi (also 1-0) and southpaw Bill Guzzetti.

Dick Diehl is scheduled to make his first appearance of the season behind the plate, and Shepard will be watching hopefully Last year Diehl was the club's top catcher, but was hampered with a sore arm.

The infield has been superb defensively and surprisingly potent at the plate in games thus far, and Shephard sees no reason to change it. Phil Bernstein, the team's power hitter, will play first and bat fourth. Mike Drummey, currently hitting over .330, will handle the chores in the hot corner.

Dave Morse will bat third and start at short, and slick fielding Terry Bartolet will be at second, giving the Crimson a fine double play combination. Both Morse and Bartolet have terrifically fast hands, and handle chances with an almost professional flair.

The outfield is still a little questionable, but some of the positions have been filled. Bill Gilmor will patrol the center field area, and converted first sacker Tom Stephenson will start in right. As of last night Shepard still was undecided on a left fielder, but the nod will probably go to former infielder Curly Combs. Fred Karp and Andy Shea are possibilities, however.

Assuming the defense continues to sparkle, and if the Crimson can come up with some plate power, this afternoon could be a cold but pleasant one for the home fans.