Crimson Ten Oppose 'Big Red' Stickmen As First Ivy Foe

The varsity lacrosse team lost just one Ivy League contest last year and it cost them the Ivy League Championship. The Crimson will keep this in mind today when it faces a high-scoring and fast-moving Cornell team as its first league opponent.

Depending on speed rather than fancy stick work, the Ithacans outran a strong Baltimore University team 15 to 11 in an early spring victory and could give the varsity a trying time this afternoon as well.

In preparation for today's game coach Bruce Munro's men have been working on quick passing plays designed to free a midfielder on an attackman cutting from behind the goal. The Crimson will also rely heavily on individual dodging plays from such stick handling experts as Captain Grady Watts, Lou Williams, Pete Sieglaff, and Woody Spruance. Both Sieglaff and Spruance have recovered from minor injuries and should be at full effectiveness against Cornell.

Munro is still juggling his first three midfields and attacking unit in an effort to increase the punch of his already high-powered offense (57 goals in five games). The key figure in Munro's player combinations is "Tink" Gunnoe who will see action on the attack when not in his more familiar berth on the first midfield.

Gunnoe, an ambidextrous sophomore with a good quick-stick, led the freshman team in assists last year, and will bolster the top attacking trio of Watts, Williams, and Spruance.