VARSITY LIGHTWEIGHTS MEET FAVORED MIDDIES ON CHARLES

Sophomores Dominate Inexperienced Crew

By C. BOYDEN Gray

An inexperienced but potentially strong lightweight crew officially opens the rowing season against highly-rated Navy this afternoon on the Charles River. Starting time is 4:30 p.m. for the Varsity and 4 p.m. for the JV's.

The Middies, who briefly interrupted the Crimson's three-year undefeated streak last year only to find the tables turned at the Eastern Championships, are rated as the top team in the East along with Cornell and are favored this afternoon. They have the strong advantages of both experience and extra time spent practicing on water this spring.

Coach Larry Coolidge is starting only two lettermen, junior Captain Jim Miller at four, and Senior John Kearney as cox. Besides Senior Davis Pike at five, the rest of the boat is filled with sophomores. In addition to his team's inexperience, Coolidge has had only four weeks to get ready this year, compared to the normal eight or ten.

The sophomores on the Varsity include Ivor Petersen at stroke, George Welch at seven, Jim MacMahon at six, Mike Mac-Kenzie at three, and Dave Strauss at two. Charles McClennon rounds out the first boat at bow.

Despite the lack of lettermen and the frustrating late start on the river, Coolidge may not find it too difficult to extend the Lightweights' dominance of the East into the fifth year.

"We had a good freshman crew last year, and we are going to get a lot of help from it," he said yesterday. "We've got good depth, too," he added, but he wouldn't attempt to predict a victory over the squad that surprised the Crimson in the second race last year.