Tennis Varsity Beats Columbia

Only one Crimson tennis player was forced to play a third set Saturday as the varsity overwhelmed Columbia 9 to 0 for its third straight shut-out of the season. The squad's present string of 27 straight match victories marks it as one of the better teams in coach Jack Barnaby's 20 years with the University.

Paul Sullivan, at the number one position, started the varsity's domination over Columbia with a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Les Moglen. At number two the Lions' Andy Bartos won a set befoe bowing out to sophomore star Vic Niederhoffer 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.

Bartos' set victory was an achievement that the hapless Lions were not to duplicate the rest of the afternoon, as varsity netmen proceeded to out volley their Columbia opponents set after set. Frank Ripley, Gary Adelman, and Keith Martin, along with Mark Woodbury and Kal Pollen, overcame their six respective opponents in 12 straight sets of tennis.

In the doubles matches, Sullivan and Ripley beat Moglen and Bartos 6-3, 6-4, while Woodbury and Walter coasted by Harley Frankel and Hank Kaplan 6-3, 6-1. Adelman and John Vinton completed the shut-out by polishing off Bob Dorman and Seth Schein 6-3, 6-1.