Varsity Nine Meets Strong Springfield

Varsity baseball coach Norm Shepard will experiment a bit with his outfield today when the Crimson takes the field against Springfield in Harvard's first game since the victory over Tufts last Wednesday.

This year's club is beginning to shape up as one of the best in recent years, but the final makeup of the first string outfield is still in doubt. Shepard is looking for outfielders who can hit the ball, and hit it far.

In this afternoon's game at Springfield, Curly Combs will start in left field, Bob St. George in right, and Gavin Gilmor in center. Combs normally plays third base, while St. George was an infielder on last year's freshman team. Against Tufts last week, Gilmor played center field, but Fred Karp patrolled left and Tom Stephenson was in right. Both Karp and Stephenson went hitless.

Yarbro to Pitch

Al Yarbro will be on the mound for the Crimson today. Yarbro, a right-hander, pitched Harvard to a 1-0 victory over Virginia during the varsity's Southern trip. Though he is not a fast ball thrower, Yarbro has good breaking stuff and an effective change-of-pace.

According to Shepard, today's game is pretty much of a tossup. "All I know about Springfield is that they beat Yale," Shepard said yesterday. Although the Maroon and white is supposed to be very good this year, Harvard can probably match them man for man both at bat and in the field.

In the Crimson's last encounter with Springfield two years ago, the Maroons won. Last year's game was rained out.

Yarbro to Pitch