Tennis Varsity Defeats Brown For Fourth Straight Shut-Out

Coach Jack Barnaby's high-powered tennis team raised its string of individual match victories to 36 and its number of straight shut-outs to four yesterday by overwhelming a weak Brown squad, 9-0. The Bruins, like Army, Columbia, and M.I.T. before them, were unable to dent the Crimson line-up all afternoon.

Paul Sullivan in the number one spot easily overcome a potentially dangerous Peyton Howard, 6-3, 6-1. Sullivan, the team captain, is probably the fastest player on Barnaby's squad and depends on quick, good net play rather than a powerful serve for his victories. Howard was just unable to get the ball past the Crimson star who played flawless ball and took advantage of every mistake Howard made.

In the number two spot, Vic Niederhoffer had more trouble with Brown's Nathan Chace, but a strong serve and good reflexes gave Niederhoffer the 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, victory. Frank Ripley's hard serve (maybe the strongest on the team) was enough to beat Bruin Victor Field in the number three match.

While not as fast as Sullivan, Doug Walter, playing number four, played the same steady game in winning his match against Lake Mayer 6-0, 6-0.

Walter's victory was duplicated in short order by Gary Adelman, and then by Keith Martin, Mark Woodbury, Bob Inman, and John Vinton. None of the last five singles players was forced to play three sets in earning his match victories.

Sullivan and Ripley overcame Howard and Chace in straight sets in the first doubles matches, 6-4, 6-3. Adelman and Martin in the second position, as well as Niederhoffer and Inman in the last doubles post, best their respective Brown opponents.

Not to be outdone, the Crimson freshmen shut out the Bruin freshman 9-0. They were led by Dean Peckham, Mike Tarre, and "Chum" Steele, who didn't lose a set in beating their opponents in the first: second, and third singles matches.