BIFF BUNDIE, UNIVERSITY COP in THE CIRCLE OF 7

By H. Lewiss

"The Mysterious Book Bag" CRIMSON begins its presentation of Swiss's chilling serial The Circle of Seven. H. Lewiss is the pseudonym assistant professor of English Harvard who began this venture into fiction as a diversion from his studies of the Jacobean theater. Further episodes of The Circle of Seven will appear regularly in issues of the REVIEW and in inserts in the daily paper.

CHAPTER ONE:

THE MYSTERIOUS BOOK BAG

WARM April wind played through the sandy hair of Biff as he walked briskly under the connecting Houghton and libraries on the first day of his assignment as University under- man. A broad smile played his face, and he was whistling, everything seemed as sunny as the He had so successfully exposed undergraduate football ticket counting ring that the Chief had produced him to special plainclothes --a position created just for Biff. he strolled along disguised as third year graduate student in Kevin Stoddard Heath, but he everything around him as if it bear close inspection.

he passed in front of Emerson , the bells of Memorial Church chimed noon, and Biff admired the Coop sportsjacket that was now his "uniform." "How well I fit in," he thought. "They all think they're so smart around here, but they'd never suspect...." Yet even before he finished this reflection, he felt something slam into him and knock him off balance. Picking himself up from the path, he saw a little foreign-looking man scramble up from the ground and rush over to him.

"Ach, eckskoos me. I am zo klumtsee!"

It was a definite foreign accent, thought Biff. The small foreigner was now attempting to dust off Biff's jacket.

"Zo ztupit uff me. Ach, you haff dropt your book bak!"

With that he snatched a book bag that was actually lying on the path and thrust it into Biff's arms. Before the bewildered detective had time to say anything, the little alien scurried off into the crowds pouring out of Sever Hall.

"It's not mine," said Biff half-aloud. But since he was also about to be trampled by the hordes of students leaving Sever, he resignedly slung the book bag over his shoulder and walked slowly across the Yard toward Weld Hall. Deep in thought, he nearly collided with a tall student in blue jeans.

"Watch where you're sneered the young man.

"Overprivileged louts," Biff, but he kept it to himself had more important things about than the assorted bustled around him.

Before he knew it, he arrived Bick on Massachusetts was sitting over a cup of coffee newly acquired possession look at him from the table.

"I'd better open it," he and looked around to see if being watched. But the only near him was a dishevelled graduate next to the window been staring intently at his own ever since Biff came in. Ca Biff pulled the bag open and in.

There were just three items a note book, a library book, small box. The note book name on it, merely the title of a --"Pharmacology 303. Effect Drugs on the Behavior of mental Animals." The library was from Widener and seemed old and worn. Biff could hardly out the words on the cover: Secret Plants of Ancient Egypt."

It was the box, however, that Biff shudder as if a cold caught him. As he lifted its slowly, he saw two things-inside first was a simple white card neatly printed on it in red ink man numeral seven enclosed circle. Beside it was a tiny mic needle.

Biff had little time to consider discoveries, for at once he that someone had been standing him--for how long he did not He glanced up quickly and eyes of a tall, distinguished- man with a pleasant smile forward his hand.

"How do you do, Mr. Bundie spoke. "I've been watching you name is Doctor Drugg."

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

CHAPTER ONE:

THE MYSTERIOUS BOOK BAG

"Ach, eckskoos me. I am zo klumtsee!"

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

"Ach, eckskoos me. I am zo klumtsee!"

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

"Ach, eckskoos me. I am zo klumtsee!"

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle

Next Week: Murder in Mallincle