Historic Districts Plan Will Not Stop Ed School

Proposal to turn the area around the Cambridge Common into a historic "is not likely to affect the new buildings of the Graduate School of Education to any great extent," the chairman of the Historic Districts Committee yesterday afternoon.

Meeting to discuss a preliminary report issued by the Committee will be held today evening at 8 p.m. in the City Hall. Representatives of the University expected to attend.

B. Wolfe, the committee chairman, stressed that the Committee is only "to prevent the development of buildings obviously incongruous with the aspects of the neighborhood." But he observed that "not much would be in the Common area in view of the buildings already there."

said that "most of the houses now standing where the Ed School to build its new plant (on Appian Way across from Longfellow Hall) do not particular historical interest. two that should be preserved easily be moved to another location.

the historic districts plan does win approval from the City Councillor Wolfe declared, "the only real represent for the Ed School will be its plans to one more board." He that the Commission would make sure that the School "was certain lines of architecture in buildings."

Monday's meeting, the Committee prepare a final report and to the Council for approval. Under Massachusetts law, a permanent Committee must approve any change in or any new construction in a district.