Russians Fail to Send Professors in Exchange

Harvard has not received from the University of Leningrad any indication that the five Soviet professors expected this spring under a faculty-exchange program are actually coming.

Although last year the University was not formally notified of the arrival of three Leningrad teachers until they applied for visas in early February, "We can assume that none will come this spring," Edward L. Pattullo, assistant Dean of the Faculty, told the CRIMSON.

Meanwhile, Harvard has already sent two professors to Leningrad and three more will teach in the Soviet Union this spring. Although the original Lacey-Zarubin agreement expired at the end of December, Patullo had said earlier that the program would probably continue until the end of the academic year. "A new cultural agreement is now being negotiated,' 'he reported in February, but "the governments are slow getting together."

Richard E. Pipes, associate professor of History, has written Pattulo that he was "immensely satisfied" with his visit to the U.S.S.R. Pipes gave four lectures at the University of Leningrad on conservative and liberal trends in 19th century Russian intellectual history, and spoke at the Pushkin House on the study of Soviet intellectual thought in the U.S.

Pipes reported that discussion with his Russian colleagues and students was "forthright and friendly," and that the Soviets "seemed very interested" in what he had to say. Pattullo has also received "greetings from Leningrad" from George W. Mackey, professor of Mathematics. Mackey and his wife will later spend ten days at the University of Moscow.

The Soviets have accepted the nomination of Herbert Dieckmann, Smith Professor of the French and Spanish Languages, to replace Louis B. Sohn, professor of Law, who decided not to teach at Leningrad.

The fifth University professor to take part in this year's one-sided exchange is Julian S. Schwinger, professor of Physics.