Beer Will Speak At HUAC Rally

By Steven V. Roberts

Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, will be the featured speaker tomorrow night at a rally to protest the hearings of the House Un-American Activities Committee which open today in Los Angeles. Sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberal Union, the rally will begin at 9:15 p.m. in Lowell Lecture Hall.

Students at the demonstration plan to pass a motion condemning the HUAC hearings and send a telegram to the Committee. The rally was supported Sunday night by the Young Democratic Club of Harvard and Radcliffe.

A newsletter from Americans for Democratic Action, of which Beer is national chairman, charged that the hearings are a device to boost the stock of Rep. John Rousselot (R-Cal.). Rousselot will reportedly have trouble in the November elections because of his outspoken membership in the John Birch Society.

Festival Organizers Subpoenaed

Among the 60 witnesses subpoenaed for the four-day session are representatatives of the United States Festival Committee, a group of college-age students who have been handling arrangements for U.S. participation in the Communist-sponsored World Youth Festival in Helsinki, Finland, this summer.

Other groups whose leaders are scheduled to testify include the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, the Women's Strike for Peace, the Citizens' Committee to Preserve American Freedom, the Los Angeles Committee for Protection of the Foreign Born, and Local 2053 of the Steelworkers Union.