Editors Quit Daily Paper at UMichigan

Staff Fears Attempt To Influence Policy

Six of seven recently approved executives of the Michigan Daily resigned yesterday in protest of an overseeing refusal to confirm the Daily' recommendations for the 1962-63 executive personnel.

The incumbent executives, whose ends in June, also resigned and charged that the faculty-student overseeing board had tried to influence the paper's editorial policy. While agreeing that changes in policy were necessary, editors felt these changes should be from within the paper.

The board accepted the outgoing executives' recommendation for editor-in-chief. But it elevated the nominee for state city editor to a new post--co- director--to be held jointly the paper's own choice for editors director, a position normally held by one person and an assistant. There were two other, less important personnel changes.

the city editor was willing to take under the circumstances.

Professor Defends Board

The board wanted to broaden the range of topics and views covered by the editorial page, Olin Browder, professor of law and chairman of the board, said last night. Also, Browder charged, had approached "the limits of libel the code of ethics under which a newspaper should operate."

The board, which holds ultimate authority over all university publications, interviews each candidate for any publication office before acting on the recommendations submitted by the outgoing executives. Said Browder of Caroline who was moved up to co-editorials . "She made a very excellent impression on the board." Said Miss Dow: them what they wanted to hear." Miss Dow also said yesterday she had told the board that the students on the paper planned to broaden their coverage anyway.

Pending further arbitration, the Dally will continue to publish under the direction of Michael Olinick, who was both recommended by the outgoing executives and approved by the board for the position of editor-in-chief. Olinick yesterday that he felt the motivation behind the change was important. The effects of the change, he said, be negligible, since the editorial exerts little influence on the contents of the editorial page.

Professor Defends Board

Professor Defends Board

Professor Defends Board

Professor Defends Board