Depot System for Yard Laundry to End in Fall

By Faye Levine

The laundry depot system for freshman dormitories will be discontinued next year, while depots will still be used for linen distribution, Arthur D. Trottenberg, Assistant Dean of the Faculty for business affairs, confirmed last night.

This decision was agreed upon earlier this week by Dean von Stade, Dustin M. Burke '52, and representatives of the Freshman Council, after a two-week study revealed that students were much more dissatisfied with the laundry system than with the linen system.

John R. Taylor Jr., Freshman Council president, and James D. Turk '65, reported to the administration Friday that 72% of freshmen answering a questionnaire and subscribing to the laundry service were dissatisfied with it. When questioned on April 10, many freshmen had over whelmingly recommended either the complete abolition of the HSA-run laundry system or at least its reestablishment on a door-to-door basis. They also complained slightly about other aspects of the laundry service.

On the linen distribution procedure, however, student reaction was surprisingly mild. Ninety percent of the 600 students filling out the questionnaire did subscribe to the linen service. Of these only 180, or one-third, called it "poor" or "unacceptable." Another third described it as "fair," just under a third dubbed it "good" or even "excellent," and a nonconformist ten "couldn't care less." When asked to suggest improvements, they responded with widely varying ideas. But they gave little support for a door-to-door linen distribution. The great amount of linen stealing, which allegedly prompted the setting up of depots this year, may account for this feeling.

Suggestions for both the linon and laundry services will definitely be implemented, Burke has stated. In addition to the change to door-to-door laundry delivery, linon depots will be operated for longer hours and under greater supervision.

The HSA has already begun to check more closely on the punctuality of depot managers. Since last week the service has been operating with a number of substitute depot managers available for last minute call.

The changes suggested by the questionnaires and the Freshman Council committee were in line with procedures reportedly favored by the Administration for some time