Weight Men to Enter Penn Relays; Crimson Four-Mile Unit Scratches

Ed Hamlin added his name to the varsity track team's list of illustrious injured Wednesday when he severely pulled a leg muscle. As a result, the varsity will not run in the four-mile relay at the Penn Relays today.

Coach Bill McCurdy had planned to enter Hamlin, captain Mark Mullin, Eddie Meehan, and Harry Rich in the four-mile, and the Crimson would have been a good bet to take first. Now, however, the coach has decided to conserve the team's waning strength for tomorrow's dual meet with Princeton.

Ted Bailey and Loren Clayman will still compete in the Penn Relays hammer throw, in which Bailey is the favorite. Clayman, Sarge Nichols, and Rick deLone will go in the discus.

The varsity's injury list is currently beyond belief. Besides Hamlin, it includes hurdler Jack Spitzberg (pulled muscle), 440 man Don Kirkland (mysterious illness), Meehan (dysentery), sprinter Scott Johnson (stress fracture), hammer thrower Art Doten (broken leg), and sprinter Russ Chesney (pulled muscle).

Thus the Princeton meet may be close, or even worse. The Tigers boast a 15-ft. pole vaulter in Charlie Mitchell, a 6 ft., 8 in. high jumper in John Hartnett, a 49.0 quarter miler in Lew Hitzrot, and a host of fine sprinters and distance men.