Lowell Prize Deadline

NEWS BRIEFS

The warden and governors of the Amy Lowell prizes for original verse written by an undergraduate member of Lowell House announced Wednesday evening that all entries must be submitted by 11 p.m. tonight.

Following are this year's winners of the Bowdoin English prizes, Harvard's oldest and most distinguished literary honor. The prizes are awarded from the income of the bequest of Gov. James Bowdoin (A.B., 1745) to both graduates and undergraduates.

English Undergraduate:--to James S. gordon '62, first prize, $600, essay entitled "The Insufficiency of Excellence";--to Matthew W. Zion '62, second prize, $400, essay entitled "Yeates's 'The Statues': A Study of Form and Thought";--and to Joel A. Cohen '62, a third prize, $150, essay entitled "Rationality and Nature."

English Graduate:--In GROUP I (The Humanities), to Joel M. Porte 5G, $500, essay entitled "Ralph Waldo Emerson: The Artist of the Prudential," and to Peter P. Brooks 2G, $500, essay entitled "The Objective Life of the Novel";--GROUP II (Social Studies), to Charles S. Master 1G, $500, essay entitled "The Ideology of Discontent: Nationalism, conservatism, and Fascism in the French Right Before Vicky";--and in CROUP III (National Science), no award