NEW HAVEN, CONN.

NEWS FROM IVY COLLEGES

YALE president A. Whitsey Griswold broke ground May 4 for the university's new $10,000,000 Kline sciences center. Three new buildings--housing modern biology, chemistry, and geology facilities-- will be built during the next three years, and additional buildings may also be constructed. "The turning of this earth marks a new era in Yale science," Griswold said, "as era in which Yale at long last will have not only the finest geology building in the country, but also a science center... second to none in quality." The center was designed by the noted American architect Philip Johnson.

YALE'S incoming freshman class ranked second only to Harvard in National Merit Scholarship winners, snagging 40 to Harvard's 89, and tieing Radcliffe. The figure represents a record number of winners for the Elis.

YALE Library recently received one of the most important eartographical treasures in the world, a late 15th century map showing the geographical concepts of Christopher Columbus before the discovery of America. It is signed by German map-maker Hourious Martellus and may be the major source of the earliest extant globe in the world made at Nuremberg in 1492 by Martin Behatm. Dated cirea 1489, and measuring six by four feet, Yale's Martellus map is the only one of the pre-Columbian world to show the famous island of Japan in the location where Columbus believed it to be.

President Kennedy will break a longstanding YALE tradition and deliver a major address when he receives an honorary degree from the university at commencement exercises in New Haves. --from the Yale Daily News