RGA Approves Plan For 'Cliffe Advisors To Aid Freshmen

As experimental program in which proper classmen supplement the Radcliffe freshman Advisors will begin next fall North House.

Dean Williston, Advisor to Freshmen, and the RGA Committee on the Freshman Year, headed by Frances B. Barbour '63 and Helene M. Sidell '63, made the final decision this week to go ahead with the project. They stressed its fluidity, and their intention to strengthen and approve rather than replace the present advisory system.

A small group of girls--probably six--will meet with the regular Faculty advisors to discuss courses, work informally with students about academic and social matters, and explicitly study their own role, problems, and possibilities as student advisors. They will largely determine whether the plan is feasible and that direction it will take.

Students will not be assigned to particular freshmen for advising, as faculty members are. Dean Williston stated that this was not a future intention ther, for undergraduate advisors could probably do more good on a flexible basis.