'Cliffe Class of 1966 Tops Predicted Enrollment by 24

By Susan Engelke

Enrollment in the Radcliffe Class of 1966, whose target size was 300, rose to 324 with the final flurry of acceptances last week. As a result, all the girls on the waiting list have been released.

Nearly 1600 girls--almost exactly the same number as last year--applied this Spring. The College admitted 391 girls, hoping for a class of 300. But according to Margaret Habein, Dean of Admissions, "the figures simply didn't work this year," and the class has already exceeded its predicted size and left no room for the waiting list candidates.

Joan C. King, acting Dean of Residence, said it will be "a tight squeeze" to find housing for everyone, since as of next Fall the 'Cliffe will have 24 more students than beds.

Although the College purchased the apartment building at 124 Walker Street, two of the off-campus houses as well as the first floors of Whitman and Barnard Halls will not be used for undergraduate housing next year. Only six of the 324 girls will be commuting.

Some May Not Come

Miss Habein noted that a few 'Cliffe upperclassmen are not yet certain about their plans for next year and may still drop out over the summer. In addition, she said that in general some of the prospective freshmen decide to come here because they are only on the waiting list elsewhere. Thus, if they are finally admitted at some other college they will not choose Radcliffe.

The final total of 324 includes 76 early decision candidates who were notified in December and six high school juniors admitted under the early admission plan.

Of the admitted candidates, 153 requested financial aid, 10 more than last year. Sixty-eight of the 77 who were ultimately offered awards have accepted them--a total of $88,520 in gift aid and $14,000 in loans.