Howe Endorses Peabody in Race

Mark De Wolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, last night threw his unqualified support to Endicott Peabody '42, for governor of Massachusetts. In an address at Leverett House, he praised the Democratic candidate for having more "character, intelligence, and integrity" than any of the other candidates.

Describing Peabody as "a Yankee Democrat," Howe declared that he is "beyond reproach for the party's follies and sins." He especially lauded Peabody's custom of turning to members of the academic world for advice without engaging in misty scholasticism. "'Chub' Peabody has surrounded himself with informed and disinterested persons," said Howe.

Devotion to Local Affairs

Howe reserved his greatest praise, though, for Peabody's devotion to local affairs. "Whatever Peabody has done, he has always made the public business of the Commonwealth his main concern," he said. In contrast, Howe blasted Senate candidate Edward M. Kennedy '54 for overlooking state problems in "his preposterous attempt to get to the top quickly."

The Republicans have a distinct advantage in the campaign because corruption issues will embarrass the Democrats, Howe declared. He called Peabody "the only opportunity to vote for a force free of the corruption of the Democratic party."

Peabody "Almost Won"

In the past, Peabody has usually "almost won" his political battles. Howe felt that Peabody's chances are probably better this year than ever before.

He especially minimized the chances of Motor Registrar Clement Riley, calling him "just another politician, colorless and undistinguished." As for the other candidates, Howe referred to them as "reputable, possibly, defensible, perhaps."