Ripley Brilliant In Gaining Singles Final, Then Loses

Crimson tennis players didn't win the new England Intercollegiate Championship last weekend, but made their way to the finals in both the singles and doubles tournaments with some brilliant day.

Playing in 94-degree weather with no breeses, Yale's Mike Nesty triumphed over Harvard's Frank Ripley in the singles final and then paired with teammate Bob Hetherington to beat Ripley and Crimson captain Paul Sullivan in the doubles.

Ripley found himself playing against the top-needed players in the tournament on route to the final with Neeley, which he lost 6-1, 6-2, 5-7.

Ripley Avenges Defeat

He battled to what he termed a "sweet victory," in an arduous match with Yale's seventh-seeded Hetherington 6-4, 4-3, 7-5. Hetherington had defeated him only a few days before. Ripley then smashed M.I.T.'s third-seeded Stan Aasnaos 6-3, 6-3, and upset the tournament favorite, Williams' Jim Botts 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

Yale Takes Doubles

Ripley and Sullivan reached the doubles finals, but both of them were exhausted. They did well to extend the Yalie due to 3-10, 3-6 before consenting to take the runner-up trophy.

In other play, Harvard's Keith Martin suffered a heartbreaking loss when he was on his way to defeating Ambert's number two man, Lou Alcaly, but then suffered a leg cramp in the third set and was forced to withdraw.