Faculty Members Choose Favorites In Massachusetts Race for Senate

By Faye Levine

Harvard greets another political season: H. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, has apparently won much of the Faculty; Edward J. McCormack has great Law School strength, some Faculty support, and a small "advisory group"; and Edward M. Kennedy '54 can claim a tiny but vocal backing.

As might have been expected, the Republican candidates for Senate nomination have excited very little Faculty activity, although George Cabot Lodge '50 allegedly has support at the Business School.

Campaign spokesmen for the two other Democratic aspirants acknowledged Hughes' popularity among the Faculty, although one suggested that it might be partly because Hughes himself is a member. Among those a Hughes representative called his "active supporters" are William Alfred, associate professor of English; John K. Fairbank '29, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History; Harry T. Levin '33, Irving Babbitt Professor of Comparative Literature, and Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory.

Others are Everett I. Mendelsohn, assistant professor of the History of Science and research associate in the Graduate School of Public Administration; Barrington Moore, Jr., lecturer on Sociology and senior research fellow in the Russian Research Center; David Riesman '31, Henry Ford II Professor of Social Sciences; Sumner M. Rosen '43 research fellow in the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Robert H. Spaethling, assistant professor of German.

The Hughes forces pointed out the diversity of departments of their Faculty supporters, and indicated they were not unhappy with the image of a Harvard nucleus for their campaign. Spokesmen for the McCormack and Kennedy supporters shied away from citing a list of their backers at Harvard, however, claiming that their campaigns were based not on "egghead braintrusts," but on diversified and widespread party support.

McCormack Supporters

Despite this contention, much of the Law School seems to back McCormack's candidacy. It is "strikingly solid," declared Kenneth S. Lynn '45, associate professor of English, adding that ten or 12 (of the school's 32) professors had acknowledged their support. Besides Lynn, Roger D. Fisher '43, professor of Law, and some members of the Brandies and M.I.T. faculties have formed an "advisory group."

Others at Harvard who are backing McCormack are Alan E. Heimert, assistant professor of English; Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law; Robert G. McCloskey professor of Government and member of the Faculty of Public Administration; Perry G. E. Miller, Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Literature; Reinhold Niebuhr, visiting professor of Theology; Richard R. Niebuhr '47, associate professor of Theology, and William B. Slottman, assistant professor of History.

The Kennedy forces, who insist their support is not limited to Harvard, have fairly sparse backing here. Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government and member of the Faculty of Public Administration; John N. Plank '45, assistant professor of Government; and "several others, particularly in the political science and economics departments," appear to be the extent of his sympathizers.

Although support for George Cabot Lodge '50 allegedly exists at the Business School, no members of the Faculty could be found to declare themselves behind him. The Faculty sponsor of "Students for Lodge," Paul E. Sigmund, Jr., instructor in Government stated that he was not personally behind Lodge