Lacrosse Team Beats Inept Jumbo Squad By Whopping 16-2

By Richard Cotton

The final score was 16 to 2, the fourth string midfielders scored three times in less than a minute, everyone who had dressed for the game played--it was a general party as the varsity lacrosse team romped over a disorganized, inept Tufts yesterday.

Although he alternated his midfields freely, coach Bruce Munro kept his first string attackmen in the game for most of the first half. They obliged him by scoring 11 goals--eight of them in the second quarter.

Ace Grady Watts took individual scoring honors with two goals and five assists--all in the first half. He was aided by Woody Spruance, who piled up one goal and five assists.

The varsity was helped in scoring its 16 goals by 19 penalties called against Tufts. A total of eight penalties was handed out to Harvard stickmen--but only one of these came in the first half.

Despite the complete lack of competition offered by Tufts, the Crimson looked sharp and enthusiastic. Their passing was accurate and effective in the numbing 40 degree weather.

The Crimson defensemen completely boxed in the Tufts attack on those rare occasions when the ball did get into the Crimson half of the field. The Jumbos sent only seven shots at the cage all afternoon, Jim Weir made two saves in the first half and Gil Leaf had three more stops in the second 30 minutes.

But, in the midst of all this revelry, halfway through the third quarter, Crimson midfielder Harry LeRoy maneuvered his way through a clump of Tufts' stickmen, and fired a shot past the Jumbo goalie into the nets. Now in most games, according to most rules, that makes a goal. But, no whistle, no nothing--the referee didn't see it.

So today LeRoy must rest content with the moral knowledge that he did score a goal and that the actual score was 17 to 2.