RGA Studies New Sign-out; No Vote Cast

Constitution Debated, Passed On to Council

By Margaret VON Szeliski

At a lengthy, heavily attended RGA meeting yesterday, the rules committee presented its final proposal, which allows upperclassmen to sign out at any hour, including overnight. In addition, the plan liberalizes restrictions placed on first-term freshmen, extending the customary curfew until 11 p.m., and allowing more one o'clocks before the first exam period.

Getting down to specifics, the RGA discussed how the new plan would work out in detail. Many girls worried that the sign-in books would not be properly checked after 1 a.m., since night watchmen check only every other hour and night be prevented from doing even his much on a busy night.

"In the event of an emergency somewhere else," noted Joan C. King, acting dean of residence, "it is quite possible that the books might not be checked all night."

The rules committee countered with he suggestion that girls coming in later than 1 a.m. should be responsible for seeing that everyone who was supposed to be in had signed in. Some representatives doubted that this would work.

"A girl returning from a cast party at 3 or 4 a.m. may very well not be in a condition to check books," claimed one skeptic. However, a representative from one of the co-op dorms said that a similar system of checking was used in Jordan Hall and was found to work out all right.

Honor System Discussed

Some girls asked whether a student who happened to be checking books would be expected to report on someone returned late, and how the honor system was to apply. "We think that the honor system has become a farce at Radcliffe," replied Adele D. Smith '63, president of RGA. "Abolishing the words 'honor system' doesn't change the fact that each girl is on her honor to sign in correctly," she added.

Discussion on the rules will be continued next week.

Also at the meeting yesterday, the RGA approved a revised constitution which will be submitted to the Radcliffe College Council at its monthly meeting on Monday. If approved by the Council, the constitution will be submitted to the student body in a referendum. Since some changes in wording designed to clarify ambiguities have been made, the referendum held earlier this year will have to be repeated.