Volpe Discusses Campaign Issues

Gov. John A. Volpe yesterday told the Law School Young Republicans that the Massachusetts G.O.P. stands a much better chance of winning this fall's elections that it did two years ago. At that time Volpe was the only Republican to be elected to an executive position.

He noted that corruption, streamlining of state agencies, and study of the educational system in the Commonwealth might well provide the basis for the upcoming election campaigns.

Volpe blamed the poor showing in the '60 election on the poor image of the Republican Party at that time and on Kennedy's nomination for President. In that "peculiar election" it was necessary to concentrate mostly on a "lone wolf campaign," he said. "And not only has the Party image improved," but there will be candidates running for offices which previously were lost by default.

Criticizes Constitution

Returning to campaign issues, Volpe was critical of the limited authority given the governor to fulfill the great responsibility he has. He explained that department heads don't change with each administration and therefore do not carry out the philosophy of the current administration.

This fact and the two-year term of the governor serve to limit the amount he can accomplish, Volpe claimed. "You no sooner get elected and make plans than someone tells you you have to watch out because an election is coming up."

In introducing Volpe, Erwin N. Griswold, Dean of the Law School, called the present legislature "irresponsible." "Bills are considered and passed without anyone having seen a copy," he said.