JFK, Stokowski May Visit HRO

By Hendrik Hertzberg

A concert conducted by Leopold Stokowski and another attended by President Kennedy may be among the highlights of the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra's now-definite trip to Mexico this summer.

The final schedule for the HRO's month-and-a-half long tour is nearing completion. Confirmation from Stokowski and Kennedy, while not assured, is likely, according to Mexican, tour manager Albert K. Webster '59.

If Stokowski decides to conduct one of the orchestra's 26 projected concerts, the event will take place August 10 in the acoustically perfect ball court of the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza in Yucatan. Webster related yesterday that Stokowski, after testing the acoustics of the rectangular ball court many years ago, said: "I hope I never die before I can conduct here." A Mexican committee is inviting Stokowski to conduct the HRO.

Webster said that the HRO has invited President Kennedy to attend its concert in Mexico City July 1. The President will be on a state visit to Mexico at that time. "Nothing's definite yet," remarked Webster, "but I think we've got enough strings so that we've got a chance."

Contact With Mexicans Object

Culturally valuable contact with the Mexican people is one of the main objects of the tour, Webster maintained. Over half the concerts will feature Mexican soloists or conductors in cooperation with the Harvard-Radcliffe group. There will also be two joint concerts with Mexican orchestras.

Luis Herrera de la Fuente, conductor of the Mexican National Symphony Orchestra, has agreed to lead the HRO in a piece of Mexican music in the July 9 concert at the Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City.

Michael C. Senturia '53, instructor in Music and conductor of the HRO, will give several lecture-demonstrations with members of the orchestra in Mexican primary and secondary schools.