Lightweights Sweep, Heavies Lose

By Boyden Gray

The Harvard crews met with varying degrees of success in races at Princeton Saturday, while elsewhere the Eastern crew picture began to take on some kind of form--and appear more confused at the same time.

The varsity heavyweights, in the second test of the season, made a gallant bid to overtake the leaders in the highlight event Saturday but couldn't quite make it. Trailing M.I.T. and Princeton for the body of the race, the Crimson made up much of the distance, only to finish a length behind M.I.T. and Princeton in that order. Rutgers finished fourth. The JV's, meanwhile, rowed well and earned a strong victory.

Coach Larry Coolidge's lightweights had better luck, however, as they swept Princeton, and Penn in the afternoon races. The varsity boat, which had rowed in the JV position last week, over powered its opponents to win by two lengths. Penn was second and the Tigers third.

The JV's likewise had an easy day, showing at the same time that they might retake their position as the varsity in this week's time trials. They rowed their race in 7:15, two seconds faster than the varsity, though the conditions varied throughout the afternoon.

It was a tough defeat for varsity heavyweight coach Harvey Love, who in a sense has not yet been able to test the real potential of his crew. He had to contend with the abominable rowing conditions in last week's regatta, and this week he drew a jinxed lane in Princeton's tempermental course.

Love would not put the blame for the loss on the bad luck of the draw, however. "Those are mighty big 'ifs', "he said, "and M.I.T. deserved to win." The lightweights and the heavyweight JV's," he continued, "would have won under any circumstances. All I can say is that the varsity did not row a bad race."