'Advocate' to Publish This Term, But Fails to Win Trustees' Aid

By C. BOYDEN Gray

Despite an unsuccessful attempt to get financial assistance from its trustees, the Harvard Advocate will publish again this term, and plans to put out a Summer School issue for the first time in its history.

The recent Advocate-sponsored Robert Frost reading earned $2000, eliminating the magazine's immediate financial problems and leaving it with funds to spare.

As a result, the Advocate will come out once at the end of the Summer School session, according to President James Urrutia '63. For the Summer School journal, Alan F. Nagel '63 will act as President pro aestate, Sidney Goldfarb '64 will be Pegasus, and Don A. Block '64 will take over the post of Business Manager.

Urrutia, Nagel, and Michael Hancher '63, Pegasus of the Advocate, represented the magazine in the meeting with its trustees in New York last week. Dean Watson also met with the trustees, who include Roy E. Larsen '21, Publisher of Time, Inc.

Although the outside aid did not materialize, Urrutia still intends to go ahead with his plan to publish more often and more predictably in an effort to print "the substantial quality of good material we receive."

If the journal can afford it, the new schedule will call for four quarterly issues of about 60 pages apiece.

Urrutia had previously hoped to attain a circulation which would have given a free copy of the Advocate to every room in the College; now he has more modest plans. "The magazine will try to get the first issue to all the freshmen," he explained, "and then we will play it by ear, depending on the general reaction."

Before the Frost reading, which all but alleviated the Advocate's problems, the magazine's situation was almost desperate. Its publishing schedule was practically non-existent, there was no printer's deadline, and the subscriptions and circulation had become increasingly chaotic.