mazing Twins, Belinsky Spark Bleak A.L. Spring

By Steven C. Rogers

Belinsky threw a no-hitter for L.A. Mickey Mantle clouted three in one day.

Cleveland's Gabe Paul says the Yanks can be had.

Why is Colavito's average so bad?

With discouraging familiarity the erican League settled down to busi last week, the annual dull job of oding which also-ran will run where nd the perennially champion New Yankees.

fter a spark of spring excitement. were back to the dreary form. The of the spring phenoms--this year it the A's Manny Jimenez--dropped 400 in his B.A.; Mickey Mantle and Maris moved into gear--Mantle three homeruns in Sunday's doubleder against Washington; and the bounced Cleveland out of first to the only possible question: "How ?"

But there were some surprises, particularly the Minnesota Twins and Bolinsky, the Los Angeles Angels' an to Ring Lardner. The Twins mbined solid pitching by Camllo Pas and Jim Lee, fine relleving by Dick gman, and the surprising power of kies Bernie Allen, Don Mincher, and chie Rollins to take seven of eight d move into a virtual tie with Cleve for second place. The Twins will be a pennant contender, but Cal Grimth's sharp off-season dealing will probably bring the Twin Cities their first first-division team this year.

Then there was Belinsky, the first real "kook" the majors have seen in quite a while. The Angels' rookie pitcher, who threw the leagues' first no-hitter since 1958 against the Orioles Saturday, may not be a perfect specimen of the brash rookie of the great school of You Know Me Al, but he is close enough to it to provide welcome relief from the league's homerun treadmill to oblivion.

After five mediocre years spent batting around the minors, Belinsky turned up in spring training, unsigned and nine days late, and loudly refused to come to terms with the Los Angeles front office. Under threat of release, he protestingly signed for the minimum $6000, and promptly began to mow hitters down--literally.

Belinsky was unbelievably wild all spring, giving up three or four walks an inning, heaving as many wild pitches as strikes, and feeding sprawling hitters a straight dirt diet. Through storms of abuse, he maintained his brash self-confidence, insisting that he was just worn out from a heavy load of winter ball.

And, by God, so far he seems to be right. In 29 innings this year he has allowed only 15 hits, struck out 24, and compiled a 1.55 E.R.A. Saturday's no-hitter was his fourth win against no defeats, and he has given up the respectably low figure of 16 walks.

Belinsky may well turn out like Bobo Holloman, the only other rookie to pitch a no-hitter, who lasted less than a full season with the St. Louis Browns in 1953. Even if Bo winds up beaning Roger Maris or hurling every other pitch over his catcher's head, though, he will have at least injected some life into the stiffening corpse of the American League.

Why is Colavito's average so bad?

Why is Colavito's average so bad?