Foyle of Navy Pressing Drummey for EIBL Title

Crimson Star Hits .471

Third baseman Mike Drummey will most likely win the Charles H. Blair Bat for the top batting average in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League this season. But then again he might not.

Drummey has already finished his season with a .471 average on 16 hits in 34 times at bat. Second place Terry Bartolet, the Crimson's second baseman, is way back at .412.

However, League rules stipulate that a player only has to bat 24 times to qualify for the title. Bob Foyle, Navy's center fielder, has collected 11 hits in 21 at bats. If Foyle bats at least three times and gets at least one hit when the Middies play Army for the League title Monday, he will win the Blair Bat.

Drummey has clinched the hit crown with 16, while Bartolet is tied for second with Dartmouth's Ken Lapine. Each has 14 hits. Other Harvard players to finish over .300 were Dave Morse at .314 and Gavin Gilmor at .313.

The Army-Navy game Monday will decide the League championship. Each team has one defeat, and the irony of it is that both teams lost to the Crimson. Harvard lost an 3-5 decision to Dartmouth midway through the season and lost its chance for a tie by losing to Yale in the season's finale. TEAM STANDINGS   W  L  Pct. Army  7  1  .875 Navy  5  1  .833 Harvard  7  2  .778 Columbia  5  4  .556 Yale  5  4  .556 Dartmouth  5  4  .556 Cornell  3  5  .375 Penn  3  5  .375 Princeton  2  7  .222