Howe Blasts Ted Kennedy

Thousands of academic figures throughout Massachusetts received a letter yesterday from Mark De Wolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, criticizing Edward M. Kennedy's efforts to win the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senator.

Howe used little restraint in expressing disapproval of the youngest Kennedy's political ambitions. He called him "a bumptious newcomer" in the four-page letter that was mailed to approximately 4,500 Professors, associates, and assistant Professor at every major institution in the state Tuesday night.

The purpose of the letter was to win support for McCormack at the forth-coming Democratic convention. Howe urged his colleagues to contact convention delegates from their districts, to write letters to the press, to proselytize within their communities, and to formally support McCormack. He concluded "the choice before the Democratic Convention is not between Tweedledum and Tweedledee. It is a choice between a tested liberal and an impudent young man."

Almost half the letter was devoted to Edward J. McCormack's achievement as Attorney General. Howe praised him for "improving the legal order in areas where improvement has been sorely needed," and added that his "efforts to give reality to civil rights and security to civil liberty...have...established a tone of decency and liberality in government."

There were no kind words for the Attorney General's 30-year-old rival: "Teddy Kennedy seeks his party's nomination for the Senate simply because he is the brother of the President. He knows as well as you and I that were he not a coat-tail candidate his name would receive no consideration from any political body for such a high office as he seeks. His academic career is mediocre. His professional career is virtually non-existent. His candidacy is both preposterous and insulting."

H. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, could not be reached for comment on the letter last night