FORUM VIEWS DeGAULLE

By Mimi Kay

De Gaulle's place in French world power and European an unification was the topic of last Thursday's Brattle Street Forum, as the panel made predictions as to the future of French politics and the relations of France and Germany. Moderated by Samuel Beer, professor of government at Harvard, the panel included a Frenchman, Paul Fabra of Le Monde; a German Gunter Gaus, editor of Sud Deutsche Zettung: as well as Nicholas Wahl, assistant professor of government, Harvard; and Roy Macridis, professor of political science, Washington University.

Commenting on the significance of De Gaulle, the panel concurred on his symbolic importance as representing "an effort at new capturing world power for France." His importance for Germany, Gaus emphasized, is De Gaulle's "rapprochement" with Germany and his desire for a united Europe.

Gaus continued that "real political unification is dependent on De Gaulle and Adenauer," two men who are similar in their single-mindedness. Both Wahl and Macridis emphasized the underlying objectives of De Gaulle in advocating a united Europe.

As to the future of French relations with Germany, Gaus felt that the present "rapprochement" would continue and Beer added that "it is the new factor of super powers that prolongs this alliance" between the two countries. Fabra noted that the "rapprochement" is not unexpected.