Professors Disappointed After McCormack Defeat

By Robert A. Ferguson

Amazed by their candidate's overwhelming defeat in the recent primary election and indecisive over a new course of action, Faculty followers of Edward J. McCormack expressed general dissatisfaction last night over the upcoming election for U.S. Senator. Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, indicated the confusion among the State Attorney General's former supporters when he said, "I just don't know what I'm going to do in November."

Howe, a vocal opponent of the candidacy of Edward M. Kennedy '54, added that he would do "anything within reason" to hurt Kennedy's chances of becoming a United States Senator.

Echoing Howe's position, Kenneth S. Lynn, associate professor of English, said, "I won't vote for Kennedy and I don't agree with Lodge or Hughes. I will vote the way I can most effectively register my protest." Lynn admitted thathe was "pretty confused" and would hesitate for a long time" before making his November choice.

Niebuhr "Uneasy"

Also among the undecided, Richard R. Niebuhr '47, associate professor of Theology, said he was "uneasy" over the possibility of still another Kennedy in high office. But like others polled, Niebuhr felt that the Democratic candidate's chances "look pretty good as of right now."

Robert G. McCloskey, professor of Government, repeated Niebuhr's prediction of a likely Kennedy victory ("it's a magic name in this state") and added that Kennedy would be an "acceptable senator if elected."

Though not actively supporting any candidate, McCloskey indicated that he would vote for Kennedy in November. Preferring McCormack's ability and experience. McCloskey concluded that "you can't always choose the person you vote for."

Other McCormack supporters were less positive in their choice of a November candidate. Answers ranged from "I don't know" to "I have no idea," and in one case, "I'm leaving Massachusetts."

Most supporters of the State Attorney General referred to the primary defeat ("It was such a shellacking") and agreed with Howe when he said "anyone who runs against Kennedy is probably licked."

Of those polled, only McCloskey said he would definitely vote for the Democratic candidate.