Central Kitchen Adopts Some Changes in Menus

University dining hall officials have agreed to add more fresh fruit, a choice of two vegetables, and real mashed potatoes to Central Kitchen menus. The dining hall supervisors also said they would "take prompt action" on student complaints about dirty trays and silverware.

But most of the changes proposed by the Harvard Council for Undergraduate Affairs met with a cold reception from dining hall officials.

The Central Kitchen turned down requests for less frequent servings of several main dishes and called a plan to permit students to take both of two main dishes at a meal "an economic impossibility."

"I just can't understand some of these complaints," said Miss Alta B. Atkinson, University dietitian. "Hot dogs, hamburgers, lamb, veal, and chicken are some of our more popular main dishes, but the report recommended that we serve them less often.

Miss Atkinson asked for more specific proposals in commenting on an HCUA suggestion for "greater variety in menus." She said that the dietician's office was always interested in hearing students' suggestions for improving the food, and that she would eat once a week in University dining halls in order to give students an opportunity to talk with her.

Dining hall officials said they would consider a request for higher-quality roast beef. Thomas R. Seymour '64, HCUA representative, suggested that better roast beef be offered and that diners be restricted to one serving in order to make the change economically possible.

A similar test two years ago brought a number of student complaints, according to Central Kitchen officials. "The roast beef isn't really bad at all," said one. "The report praises the `superior Adams House roast beef' lavishly. But the Adams House beef is the same meat Central Kitchen serves."

The HCUA made its requests after a poll of the Lowell House dining room revealed widespread dissatisfaction with Central Kitchen food.

Seventy-one percent of those reached by the Lowell House survey said they were often displeased with the food, and up to 87 percent spoke out against the preparation of certain dishes. Instant mashed potatoes and roast beef led the list of foods that drew special complaints.