CHATEAUX MARGAUX

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In reply to the December 20 CRIMSON photo-comment, "In a delicate Burgundy Haze," we of the Leverett House Wine Tasting Society wish to inform your readers that for three years we have existed solely for the purpose of tasting wines. Formed in the Spring of 1961 by a group composed essentially of sophomores and tutors, the group restrained itself to sampling the Bordeaux and Burgundies appropriate to Central Kitchen cooking. Finding this approach lacking in taste, however, it was the opinion of the group that the meetings of the following year should be devoted solely to the tasting of wines.

The officers of the society are responsible for the theme of the meeting, and the members for the conduct of the meeting. One of the officers, moreover, prepares an explanation of the background of each of the wines. Thus in a recent meeting, seven white wines of Germany were chosen. Two well-known wines of the Mosel region were compared to three popular wines of the Rhine region. Contrasts were further made between the Rhine and Mosel on the one hand, and on the other hand, to a wine from the Stein region, and one from Alsace.

We distinguish our purpose in three ways. First, to allow our members to sample a wide variety of wines in the course of the year. Secondly, to give the members a chance to appreciate each wine in relation to the other wines of its family. And thirdly, to promote a better understanding, generally, of one of the great cultures of the world. Charles M. Warchel '63,   President, L.H.W.T.S.